Wednesday, 16 April 2008

Going Digital

At last we have felt the need for a set-top box for our TV. I wanted to see Graeme Murphy's Swan Lake broadcast live on ABC2 so I went shopping and was talked into a high definition box by a salesman who seemed quite good. I expected to just go home and plug it in as he said but found some mail for Emily when I got home and, as she had already left for Brisbane and the flight back to UK, I drove down that afternoon, leaving the new box unopened.
On Friday at lunchtime we set about the task but could not get it to do the HD thing. Dick came home from work with the news that it was only a standard definition box, so we packed it up to return next morning.
However next morning we were off early to Mullum where we had a good look at Mum's HD box [same brand, same price].
On Monday morning I returned it and with some grumbling got the HD one for the same price. The salesman had sold quite a few of the SDs thinking they were HD, [which it actually said on the docket, so presumably also on his computer screen]. I collected a catalogue as I left and found the HD one in it, on special at that price! Limited confidence in the salesman remained.
Monday lunchtime resulted in another unsatisfactory installation experience and we decided that our TV might not be compatible and we would return to our initial intention of a cheap box.
So I returned it next day and got my money back while Dick got one at our local store at Wilsonton which seems to work well.
The ballet was very good and we also enjoyed the US Masters Golf over the weekend.

No comments: