Friday, 25 April 2008

Anzac Day

Today I remember those who did not return - Dick's uncle Sergeant John Hart Steel of 2/2 Pioneer Battalion who died of malnutrition and neglect on the Burma Railway in 1944, and my grandfather's brother Private Walter Charles Patterson of 52nd Battalion AIF who was killed by a shell near the front line at Mouquet Farm on the Somme in September 1916.
And those who returned damaged - my grandmother's brother Sapper Duncan McRae of 2nd Field Co. Engineers, who was shot in the spine at Gallipoli, and Dick's great uncle Lieut-Colonel T H Steel OBE of Steele's [sic] Post at Gallipoli and later in France [14th Btn].
There were many other family members affected by wars, including our own fathers and I hope that the retelling of their stories will help us avoid further military conflicts.
I made Anzac biscuits today - I have actually been meaning to for a couple of weeks so I just used the day to get it done. I also made a wartime chocolate cake and another brew of beer.

No comments: