Friday, 29 May 2009

Theatre in May

Our subscriptions have had two events at both the Empire Theatre and at USQ in mid-May. The Queensland Ballet's Midsummer Night's Dream was very good in all aspects - choreography, music, dancers, sets and lighting. The artisans were particularly good.
I could not say the same for the La Boite play 10 days later. Walking by Apple Tree Creek was a Travelling North sort of play with two ageing actors and just did not work for me. The naive audience also did not help it.
At USQ we had Sunwrae Ensemble which somehow did not work out well either. I think that we felt they lacked theatricality and that as musicians they could have played something else better.
The following week we had an Archaeology Talk by two staff from the university. It was surprisingly well-attended - nil cost to us as we have a full subscription at a good price - but not the sort of thing I would expect to pay $17 for. But the refreshments were good although the venue at the concert hall is not as good as the usual theatre foyer. And we did learn something.

No comments: