Yesterday we attended a meeting/forum of the Richmond Birdwing Recovery Network in Toowoomba. It was a hot day but it was well worth going to, with an interesting display of visual material, update of activities, and a discussion of genetic issues for butterflies and their food plants, when restoring fragmented habitats. Some things to think about are - genotypes and phenotypic plasticity, the meaning of "local provenance", and outbreeding and inbreeding depression.
My vine is surviving while not thriving. I did plant it in the most favoured spot below the bubbler off the house roof, but there has been very little come out of that in recent years.
We are not in the habitat of this butterfly or vine, which extends only to the escarpment, from the coast, but I am interested in the project, and got a vine for Mum who is very much in the habitat on the Brunswick River. Are there implications in giving her a vine grown at Brookfield? The source of that seed may have been Mt Tambourine. I should check so we know the provenance.
I am hoping to discover vine and/or butterfly in the wild, while walking in this area. This is quite unlikely but perhaps it is possible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment