Monday, 1 February 2010

A fresh start

Welcome to the New Year. It starts today as January was reserved for the summer of sport: a time where I watch quite a lot of TV, my hand/eye co-ordination improves, and I am exhausted after some matches - notably Henin, Federer and Murray. I wish my tennis shots showed more improvement but at least I find the centre of the racquet more often. Without the shot making technique this usually sends the ball over the baseline.
The summer of sport is also a time for sewing and, as well as mending clothes for various family members, I have completed the scrap bag quilt I have been working on for at least the past year.
This project was interesting as I visited my artist cousins in New Zealand early last year and that provided great stimulation. I then handed the 8 patch pinwheel units to Lee in November and she made the design which we put together at Christmas. We then decided to wad it and I hand quilted it over the past few weeks. It has been very satisfying and I have reduced the accumulation in the sewing room significantly.

We have long waited for a spent cyclone to head our way with a big rainfall event and at last we are experiencing it. The rain sounds different and falls in sensible amounts. We have 39 mm in the gauge this morning after a day or more of wind and overcast. The tanks are filling and the place will revive. I spent Saturday morning planting out trees and shrubs in anticipation.
This year I hope to complete several writing projects which have been almost finished for too long. I hope to benchmark my progress with monthly meetings of the U3A Genealogy discussion group. This used to work for me when I was in Mareeba.
It looks like the garden might look after itself for a while.
I am looking forward to returning to U3A choir and Scottish country dancing this week which is the beginning of term. Swimming/aqua has continued over summer and USQ fitball is also continuing.

No comments: