Saturday, 22 August 2009

The third age

July has been a month of change and renewal for me. Early in the month we had a cousins get-together in Sydney which was most enjoyable. It prompted me to do more photo scanning and distribution and I am looking forward to receiving more photos as a result of it.
I also enjoyed swimming laps with Andrew and realised that I was over the Thursday morning coffee thing after Tai chi.
I had started Energise fitball classes on Thursdays after Tai chi and found myself really energised.
So I revisited the issue of lap swimming which had been in abeyance for several years - unused swim passes which I finally accepted were out of date.
Despite a full year membership of U3A for less than six months, I decided to join friends at Thursday morning aqua aerobics at Harristown High indoor 25m pool. I am able to do about 20 laps before the class begins at 8 am then another lot in the 15 minutes following the class. This is a solid 1 hour workout which I am really enjoying. It may get more crowded as summer approaches.
I guess I did not have to give up Tai chi but I realised that I needed a break as we are no longer being taught.
I then found the gap between swimming and fitball was too long, so I have started Scottish Country Dancing. This is quite energetic and fun. It also uses the mind and fills a gap in my life since we left Mareeba.
I am quite tired on Thursday afternoons and have been reading a novel since I let go of daily Sudoku puzzles.
We have a new player at Friday morning tennis and she does this dancing class and also Chamber Singers on Friday after tennis.
This was another activity on my wish-list, so I have joined that too. It really uses the mind and I am enjoying the challenge of reading manuscript, watching the conductor and trying to sing. The piano has been dusted off to assist, so I also get back to this activity which has also gnawed at me in recent years.
Dick is busy with golf so it is a good time to dive in at the deep end.

No comments: