Saturday, 22 August 2009

Brain training

It seems like a good idea to keep the mind working well in the latter years of one's life, so I decided that I would like to be able to do the Sudoku puzzle in the Weekend Australian each week.
This was easier said than done.
I started the exercise in May and found easy versions at Sudoku.com but I still needed help. By early June I was doing these and moving to moderate level and once more I got stuck and sought advice from another offspring.
My brain was starting to work in new ways as I awoke one morning to a mental reorganisation of the shed which went well, and I also continued to make progress with Sudoku.
It was also starting to concern me that this activity seemed rather addictive. I was printing out a puzzle each day and spending a lot of time on it. It was however relaxing.
I thought I had made it to my goal of the Weekend Australian by early July but I was still not there. I had moved on to hard level with the online ones. I was pleased to see that I had worked out some recommended strategies for myself - fine pencil with attached eraser and pen.
By August I was finding hard level a bit boring and tried to do tough level and I admit I cannot do these. I am also sick of spending time on them each day, but the good news is that I have done the Australian ones on the last two Saturdays.
I think I have reached my goal and I have also enjoyed reading a novel in the time slot which was previously taken up.

No comments: