Thursday, 4 June 2009

A winter's tale

Yes autumn has gone although the cold nights are not due for a few days more. Blogging has been neglected while autumn plantings were done and I am watching the emergence of vegie seedlings in anticipation. Meanwhile we continue to gather regular meals from our patch. At present it is spinach, spring onions, sweet potato and herbs, with a supply of pumpkins handed over the fence. The lime crop is also bountiful this year and I have been busy making marmalade and lime butter.
This week we celebrated our leader Bill's 85th birthday with a walk at Drayton and up Mt Peel followed by a shared party. He has been leading the group for 18 years and says it is still made up of the same sort of people although over 100 regulars [3+years] have passed through the group over the years. So I guess he can tell if a newcomer is likely to last.
This week I have also returned to varnishing in the shed. Dick has made a stool from cypress pine for his workbench and there are a couple of shelves and small things waiting as well. Let's hope I can keep the run going and make gains on the backlog - squatter's chairs are the next target.

No comments: