Wednesday, 26 November 2008

Vegies

It is a bit late for spring planting but, with the new water supply, promise of more rain, and plenty of seeds, I am hoping to get the vegie garden going again.
Progress report -
Garlic is approaching maturity
Spring onions flowering - still some to put in a pumpkin soup.
Leeks also flowering - more sown this week.
Chives - some flowering, plenty of garlic ones.
Parsnips - small but nice. We had some roasted in the camp oven for full moon, then more in a roast with Lee this week I am saving the rest for the next full moon.
Carrots - still more to pull.
Beetroot - small and disappointing. I am sowing more in the tank garden instead.
Ruby Chard - flowering and finished [mostly eaten]. More to be sown in the tank garden today.
Tomatoes - some plants surviving with fruit against the tank, thanks to Ann watering them. I pruned and re-staked them last week. Ann gave me [yellow] seedlings and I also got some from the market so I hope to produce a good crop below the tank in coming months.
Beans - Lazy housewives sown with scarlet runners against the house. The former have provided several meals since we got back and the latter are flowering and should start producing soon. I also have young purple kings below the tank, waving in search of a trellis. I sowed mixed lazy housewives and scarlet runners outside the end window the other day.
Corn - sown at the end of the house last Sunday.
Endive and Rocket sown in end garden Monday.
Various seeds sown in germinator on Monday.

No comments: