Wednesday, 26 November 2008

Replenished

I thought I was kidding myself when I used to say that we would need a major event to replenish our soil moisture after these dry years, but last week we received the monthly average of 93 mm in 24 hours. We had already reached the average with 103 mm - something which has only happened 16 times in the past 4 years. Our previous maximum monthly rainfall was 130 on November 2005.
Although we had no damage from the storms, hail and heavy rain, we did suffer a slump in the fill behind the tank, as predicted by the plumber. I had poured all my grey laundry water for over a month into this area, but obviously this was a different scale of wetting and the area dropped over 20 cm, resulting in the input pipes from the roof dropping and disconnecting. A great deal of water then flowed around the tank with some wash of soil and mulch. Fortunately they did not break and we were able to put things back together before the next lot of rain.
Also, fortunately, we have a bit more dirt to move from below the tank area, so we are able to restore the top area to its previous level.
It was nice to see the overflow pipe spreading the water across the lower paddock.
The top tank has also overflowed so we are fully replete in tank storage.

No comments: