Saturday, 3 October 2009

Spring in the vegie garden

This spring I have completed the landscaping around the tank, which has now been in for a year. It took a while to be motivated to move all those rocks, but now it is looking great and is mostly planted for the coming months. I have been looking at rotational plantings to keep the soil healthy over time.
We have had a long supply of lettuce, endive and rocket this year and some are now going to seed, but we also have some newer plants coming on.
The two clumps of ruby chard are still looking good and there whenever we want them.
We also have plenty of leeks and spring onions available.
After a long wait, the broad beans are now producing meals for us. It was a worry that such a good looking stand might not yield any fruit.
The self-sown scarlet runner beans are just ready to start picking and I have more seedlings coming up on the bean screen for summer.
The tomatoes on the bean screen are also covered in green trusses and will start to ripen soon.
We also have a new planting of tomatoes near the tank, as well as purple king beans and two corn crops sown recently. we also have potatoes and sweet potatoes planted.
The parsnips I sowed in winter are also looking well and we hope to harvest these soon.

No comments: