The flax lilies or Dianellas are flowering in our garden this year. It is interesting to see the variety in leaf colour and form. Some send their flowers above the foliage, while others hide it among the leaves. The flowers vary in size and colour from pale blue to deep purple. Some leaves are dark and stiffly erect, while others are yellow green with red edges, or soft and bluish-green.
I have collected various plant genera in the past - crotons, caladiums, hippeastrums, lilies, bromeliads, etc.
So I have decided to collect Dianellas.
Today I surveyed my plants - there are more than 30 as I have split a couple of clumps in past years and spread them around. I am still working it out but I think I have -
Dianella brevipedunculata with yellow-green leaves and inflorescence amongst the foliage.
Dianella caerulea Paroo lily
Dianella congesta with inflorescence amongst the foliage, smooth leaf margins and smooth midrib
Dianella revoluta with inflorescences mostly held above the foliage and grey-green leaves. I wonder if this is the one I collected seed from in Gilgandra in November 2007? I now have three impressive plants on the driveway.
Dianella tasmanica which I bought at the Wilsonton market soon after we moved here in 2004. I split the clump in 2006 and it is doing well around the garden with tiny blue flowers in among its yellow-green conduplicate leaves. However I can't find any prickles on the leaf margins!
Saturday, 3 October 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment