Lieutenant Owen Gorman was the last commandant of the Moreton Bay penal settlement. In 1840 the first settlers began to arrive on the Darling Downs, west of the Dividing Range. So a wagon route had to be found to bring supplies from Moreton Bay. Gorman succeeded in finding a way through on 17 October 1840 probably following aboriginal trails. On Wednesday evening a small group of us walked up to the top monument from Unemployed Road, pausing for photos on the Camel's Hump at sunset, then returned to our cars down the eroded track in fading light, to celebrate 167 years since he did it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
A neat and easy to read blog Mum, I think I will learn something too. Your spring garden and birds sound exotic from an autumn morning in South Wales.
I look forward to the next entry...
Post a Comment