This year the Choral Society put on Singing from Scratch with Jubelmesse Mass no. 2 in G by Carl Maria von Weber. It was first performed in 1818 in celebration of the Golden Wedding of the King and Queen of Saxony.
Having joined Choral Society in January, I was part of the core group who rehearsed it prior to the day. However I did not feel that I had made great progress, it being quite difficult, especially the high parts which need plenty of warm up and support. It is quite disconcerting at home alone.
Emily joined me for the day and we enjoyed the morning session at the Choral Hall. In the afternoon we rehearsed on the choir risers at St Lukes and discovered the acoustic disadvantages. Being unable to hear others, I did not have confidence to make the entries and Em was doing it from scratch for the experience so she was unable to fully support me. She decided to head back to Brisbane in daylight and I went home for a break before returning in the evening for the concert.
The Choral Choir sang three songs in the lead in - On a clear day you can see forever; Banquet Fugue from "the Reluctant Dragon" by John Rutter and He's got the whole world in his hands. I was placed centre front row for that, then moved back and was able to find a more favourable spot than in the afternoon although Kevin beside me came in on the bass entries instead of tenor which was distracting.
So the mass went off quite well for me and the audience seemed to think it went well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment